Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Technique Tutorial-Keeping Stenciled Letters Straight

Using lettering stencils is a great way add words to your project as I did on my fabric page for the SOCC Week Three Challenge. But, you may well ask, how can I keep my lettering straight without marking my fabric? Well it really is a simple process and I will share it with you now.


 I used a lettering stencil, the Dylusions Paint Pen in Black Marble and a needle threaded with black thread.


 Lay a ruler where you want your lettering to be. Take your needle and thread and take a small stitch at the end of your word/sentence. Leave about a 5cm (2 inch) tail hanging at the side. Take another small stitch about 4cm (1 1/2 inches) along the ruler. The measurements are not important, I just wanted to give you an idea. Adjust to suit your project. Continue until you have a line long enough for your word/sentence and leave the needle and thread hanging at the side.
Stencil your word/s being sure to clean your stencil after each letter so you don't transfer unwanted black paint to your project.


After you have finished stenciling, simply pull the needle and thread out of the fabric and you are left with perfectly straight lettering and no unsightly guide lines. Too easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment