Friday, June 17, 2016

Technique Tutorial- Distress Stain Background

PLEASE NOTE: Distress Inks are not permanent on fabric and are only suitable for art projects that will not be laundered.

I so enjoyed creating my last project for the SOCC Week Two Challenge that I thought I would put together a quick tutorial on how I created the background for my fabric page.


The first step was to lightly spray my fabric with water. I then applied Tea Dye Stain all over and Brushed Corduroy Stain in random places. I found the Stains to be much more stable on fabric than the Distress Inks. However I still ironed my fabric (from the right side) just to stop my colours moving.


Next I "spritzed and flicked" my stained background with water and ironed.


Then I spread out some Walnut Stain on my craft sheet (apologies for my stained craft sheet, it is well used), making sure I had different sized droplets.


I then went ahead and randomly "stamped" small sections my background into the Walnut Stain and ironed it.


I used the brick stamp from the "Bitty Grunge" by Stampers Anonomous and the "Crackle" stamp from Kaisercraft with Espresso Archival Ink. I again ironed it from the right side.


I applied some Picket Fence Stain to my craft sheet and used my finger to apply the stain in random places on my background just to add some highlights. I again ironed it.


I stamped some background foliage using "Nature's Elements" clear stamps by Stampers Anonymous and Fern Archival Ink.


Finally I smudged some Vintage Photo Distress Crayon around the stone door trim for shading.

I hope this tutorial will help you to create your own backgrounds with Distress Stains.

No comments:

Post a Comment